The five kids you meet in summer school

The Person who needs one more course to graduate

You know who you are. You’ve likely finished your program and need one last pesky credit to get your diploma marking you as an educated person. Whether it’s breadth or just a random class, you know the finish line is right in front of you.

The Keener

Ah, the keener. Regardless of why they’re taking the course, you know what they’re going to do. They’re going to go to every single class, take notes on every single reading there is, raise their hand to get that participation grade, or worse, out of actual curiosity. Teach me your ways.

The Re-Do

It happens. For one reason or another we don’t pass a course and have to retake it in the summer. I mean, it’s the perfect solution. Smaller class sizes, warmer weather, twice the speed of a normal course — no pressure, right?

The One-Who-Skips-Every-Class-But-Makes-The-Final

I mean, I get it? It’s summer, it’s hot not cold out, you’re commuting downtown anyway, so you might as well enjoy the outdoor patios and the park and the chill atmosphere. Who even has time for class? Just go to the final and hand in your assignments and you’re good.

Dora The Explorer

While not necessarily named Dora, this student seeks to explore the endless classes that are held at U of T. Going from obscure class to obscure class, they seek to find the most unique classes available to us. Whether it’s a course on movies, classic rock, or graphic novels, they’ll try anything. Although no Dora, I recently took a course on the intersection of graphic novels and religion.

Next time you’re in a summer course, remember these five students. And know that one of these is definitely you.