Let’s talk about art: six must-sees in March

Present day can seem overwhelmingly bleak, with scary headlines blaring from TV screens and newspapers, and disagreement in every corner. Take a break from the hectic disarray and explore urgent concerns through art – these nuanced perspectives guide viewers in appreciating the negotiation of contemporary issues. From exhibitions to performances and discussions, find beauty in today’s pressing questions.

Add these events to your calendar, you won’t want to miss them.

SHOW: “The Shell” 

How does colonialism, technology, and being a mortal constrain an artist? Questions about the nature of art and the artist play out on stage in this production by the Theatre and Performance Studies program at U of T’s Scarborough campus.

When: Thursday March 14: 8pm-10pm

Cost: $8 Students/Seniors, $10 adults

SHOW: Trashion Show 19’

Fashion and art come together in this show at U of T Mississauga to promote environmental sustainability. See what can be made with re-used and recyclable materials for artwork that is both classy and trashy.

When: Friday March 15: 5pm-8pm

Cost: Free

PANEL: Artistic Ethics in an Age of Social Consciousness 

Arts and culture contribute to social movements – and vice versa. With #MeToo, decolonization efforts, and rampant cancel culture, the intersection of an artists’ talent and morals is often brought into question. Join the Hart House Debates and Dialogues Committee’s discussion, with speakers Quill Christie Peters, Michèle Pearson Clarke, Georgiana Uhlyarik, Indu Vashist, and moderator Gabrielle Moser.

When: Monday March 18: 7pm-8:30pm

Cost: Free

EXHIBITION: Vision Exchange: Perspectives from India to Canada 

Paintings, sculptures, photographs, and more. These works at the Art Museum at U of T make up an exhibition about land and sovereignty, reframing historical narratives, and migration, sharing perspectives that foster dialogue.

When: Wednesday March 20: 6:30pm Exhibition tour with Dr. Deepali Dewan/Exhibition on until March 23.

Cost: Free

EXHIBITION: Trinity Art Show 2019: Statements 

Explore the urgency of art and how it negotiates our personal identities, sociopolitical issues, ideologies, technology, and culture today. See some art and make your mark, with statements about art in interactive curatorial installations.

When: Friday March 29: 6pm-9pm Opening Reception/Saturday March 30 and Sunday March 31: 11am-3pm Exhibition

Cost: Free

EXHIBITION: Ai Weiwei: Unbroken 

Take a trip to the Gardiner Museum to view Ai Weiwei’s unconventional and thought-provoking ceramic works, exploring timely social justice issues including immigration and dissent. While you’re there, see Unswept Floor (Tesserae) by Nurielle Stern, an exhibition in response to themes in Ai Weiwei’s Unbroken.

When: On until June 9

Cost: Free (post-secondary students on Tuesdays) + discounted admission on Fridays