Do I have to be a Trin student to…

Trinity College may seem insular and exclusive, with high barriers to entry. I’ll have you know though, you don’t actually have to be a Trin student to partake in some of the quintessentially Trin experiences. Whether you want to though, is totally up to you.

If you’ve ever wanted to ask, “do I have to be a Trin student to do this?” Here are the answers to all your pressing questions.

Can I step on the grass in the quad?

No one is allowed to step on the grass in the quad anymore. The grass has been fenced off for the season.

Can I use study rooms in Graham Library? 

Yes, and no. Study Rooms 1 and 2 can be booked by any U of T student. The exclusive study Rooms 3 and 4 can only be booked by groups with at least one Trin student or Wycliffe College student.

Can I walk around in a gown (like a pompous ass)? 

Yes. You probably know that academic gowns are steeped in tradition at Trinity College. You don’t have to spend $125 to traipse around in a Harcourts gown. You don’t even have to be a Trin student to borrow one from the College. Sign out a gown from the Porter’s Lodge – I mean, Welcome Desk – and leave your T-Card or driver’s license as collateral.

Can I dance the night away at Conversat?

Yes. Find a Trin friend to buy you a guest ticket to the 136th Conversazione: Conversin City, if there are any left.

Can I dine in Strachan Hall

Yes. Feel free to pack your lunch and eat in the Hogwarts-esque space that is Strachan Hall. You might feel a little out of place, I recommend you visit with a Trin friend or acquaintance. If you, for whatever reason, desire the dining hall food, you can pay in cash.

Oh, and make sure to sit at the right table – rules may not be enforced, but upper year tables are for upper years, and God forbid you sit at the don’s round table or the high table.

Can I submit artwork to the Trinity Art Show?

Yes. You don’t actually have to be a Trin student to have your artwork featured in the hallowed halls of the college. You don’t even have to be a current U of T student – recent alumni are invited to submit their work too. The call for submissions is on until January 31.

Can I get involved in a Trinity College Dramatic Society production?

Yes. If you look at any TCDS playbill or program, you will see names not affiliated with the College. Talent is talent, and Trin recognizes that.

Can I join a Hart House Committee

Yes. While it seems that every other Committee is chaired by a Trin student and can be disproportionately populated with Trin students, everyone can join. Hart House values diversity, including diversity of colleges, faculties and campuses. No matter where you come from, there is space for you at Hart House.

Can I get married in the Trinity College Chapel?

You don’t have to be a Trin student, alum, or affiliated in any way, to get married in the Chapel. However, booking priority  is given to Trinity College graduates and their family members.

Can I also be “the salt of the earth”?

No, not if it wasn’t instilled in you throughout the course of orientation week. Because Trin students are truly the salt of the earth. Damn the dissenters, hurrah for old Trinity!

One thought on “Do I have to be a Trin student to…”